Opening the World of Learning (OWL) is a comprehensive curriculum that covers all domains of early learning aligned with Massachusetts State Frameworks. It is an early literacy curriculum and seamlessly weaves solid content that captures children’s natural curiosity about the world into an activity centered day. The curriculum covers all domains of learning: Language and Literacy, Social Studies, Science, Mathematics, The Arts, Physical Development, and Social/Emotional Development.
The Fundations® Pre-K Activity Set supports students’ emerging understanding of the alphabetic principles of letter-sound associations and alphabetical order, and the written language skill of manuscript letter formation.
The Activity Set provides an introduction, or "pre-dose", to the letter-sound and writing skills that will be taught to mastery in the Fundations Level K program. It is not intended to provide a full pre-k literacy curriculum.
The skills taught align with those that the Report of the National Early Literacy Panel (2008) identified as strong and consistent predictors for the later development of literacy skills:
- Knowledge of the names and sounds associated with printed letters.
- Ability to manipulate the sounds of spoken language.
- Ability to rapidly name letters, numbers, objects, or colors.
- Ability to write isolated letters or one’s name.
- Ability to remember spoken information for a short time.